Help at the Crown Court

The Crown Court is the place where more serious cases are dealt with.

At Hamer Childs we have four Higher Rights Advocates (Criminal Proceedings) which means we have four solicitors who are able to represent people in the Crown Court in the same way that barristers can. Solicitors also usually represent people in the Police Station and Magistrates’ Court. By being represented by a solicitor who is also a Higher Rights Advocate we achieve continuity of representation, which our clients tell us is often important to them.

We also work closely with a selection of very experienced and respected barristers and Queen’s Counsel. We keep the number of barristers and Queen’s Counsel that we work with relatively small so that we can ensure high quality representation.

Whoever you choose to be represented by we will ensure that you have the best representation at the Crown Court and that your case is given the respect and attention it deserves.

There are a number of ways that a case can be heard in the Crown Court. Some cases, such as murder, are of such seriousness that they can only be dealt with at the Crown Court. These are called ‘indictable only’ offences.

Trial at the Crown Court is called trial on indictment or trial by jury.

Other cases vary in their seriousness depending on the facts. For example, a person could steal £1 or £1,000,000. If a person stole £1 they are likely to be dealt with in the Magistrates’ Court, if they stole £1,000,000 then they are likely to be dealt with in the Crown Court. These are called, ‘either way’ offences.

With ‘either way’ offences, even if the Magistrates decided that they could deal with your case, if you are pleading not guilty, you still have the right to elect Crown Court trial. These decisions are something which you will require legal advice about. If you are pleading guilty and the Magistrates feel that your case is too serious for them to deal with, they can ‘commit’ your case to the Crown Court for sentence.

Finally, if you are found guilty after trial in the Magistrates’ Court, you have a right of appeal to the Crown Court whereby your trial will be freshly considered by a Judge and two Magistrates who were not involved in your original trial.

CALL 01905 724565 NOW FOR HELP


Comments are closed.